Monday, April 1, 2013

One of the most gratifying experiences

One of the most gratifying experiences of my life has been the births of my two children. It has been equally rewarding as they continue to grow to see them experience new things like learning to crawl, taking their first step, and saying their first word. As they learn and grow it is rewarding to see how they progress and mimic what I do (recently I taught my son how to do a knuckle bump and say what's happening dude).

In additional the the gratification from being a parent, there is also a weight you feel when you raise children. I are always worried about their well-being. The first time they get sick you are worried if they will get better, and call the doctor at the drop of a hat. I remember the first time my 2 year old held his breath when he got mad till he passed out, my wife and I almost had a heart attach.

As I continue to learn about hydration and its effects, I also worry about my kids staying hydrated. Kids can lose a large amounts of fluid through fever (more water evaporates from the body when body temperature is increased), diarrheavomiting, running around, or just being outside a lot. Children are also much more likely to become dehydrated than adults because they lose fluids at a quicker rate. 

One problem with kids becoming dehydrated is that kids are less likely to recognize they are dehydrated, Additionally, the effects of dehydration are not apparent to parents until the kids are severely dehydrated. 

In trying to keep my kids hydrated I have found several helpful tips to share. These tips include:
  1. Watch for the early sign of dehydration
  2. If you kids get sick make sure to start hydrating them early
  3. As the summer arrives, acclimate them to the heat
  4. Always make sure to have water around for them to drink
  5. Know what the weather is suppose to be like, and plan accordingly
The best tip is to watch your kids closely as it get hot out and notice if they are acting funny. 

As kids need caring for, please make sure to watch out for your kids and keep them hydrated.

As always, Don't forget to Hydrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment